The Brigitte Poirson Poetry Contest (BPPC), a brainchild of Words Rhymes & Rhythm (WRR), is a monthly writing contest aimed at rewarding the under-appreciated talent of young Nigerian poets. It was instituted in February 2015 in honor of Brigitte Poirson, a French poet and lecturer, editor, who has over the years worked assiduously to promote and support of African poetry.
Participants in this month’s contest should note that Judges will consider ORIGINALITY, WORD ECONOMY, adherence to THEME, CREATIVITY in LANGUAGE and STYLE as well as the use of LITERARY DEVICES in the poems.
What’s in it for you?
1.The winning poem will be awarded a cash prize of N8000, a certificate of award and a copy of the BPPC 2018 anthology.
2. All top 10 poems will be automatically entered for the Albert Jungers Poetry Prize (AJPP) 2018
3. All top 10 poems will be published in the annual BPPC 2018 anthology.
4. All top 10 poets will receive a free copy of the BPPC 2018 anthology
1. Contestants are invited to submit one poem on the theme
2. Submissions should be sent to SUBMISSIONS@WRR.NG
3. All entries must be the original work of the poet submitting it.
4. No ATTACHMENTS. Please submit the poem and other details as thebody of the mail
5. The CONTESTANT NAME, CONTEST MONTH, & POEM TITLE must be mentioned clearly, as the subjectof the e-mail. For example: ‘Abubakar Nnamdi Adekunle, BPPC July 2018, ‘MY VISION’
6.The maximum length of the poem should be 28 lines (plus the title). Poems exceeding this length, or having excessively long lines, will be disqualified.7.Authors must provide their full names and Facebook ID [for identification]and a 50-100 word biography in the body of the e-mail
8.Submission deadline is 11:59 PM Friday, August 24, 2018.
1.Poems containing profanity, racism or vulgarity will be automatically disqualified
2.The poems will be judged based ontheir artistic quality and creativity
3.The judges’ decision is final and under no circumstances will they enter into any correspondence with entrants regarding their decisions
4.The copyright of each submission remains with its owner but we retain the right to publish ALL and ANY entry in the annual BPPC anthology
5. Poets resident in any part of the world are eligible
6.No entry fee required.
7.Past winners may enter for the competition, but a poet can only win one once in a calendar year (Season).
If a past winner makes the TOP 10, the poems will ONLY beawarded a certificate and be featured in the anthology.
Get your creative juice flowing poets!